Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Assignment 5: Greeting card, Theme - Love

Love Message - Lots of Love (LOL)

The theme is Love, and a sense of bubbling sweetness is the feeling that I want to portray in this assignment of greeting card making, therefore the choice of bright vibrant color. At the same time, I wanted to break away from the norm of having regular shaped card. Therefore, I decided to have the cover of my card to be in the shape of a heart which suited my theme.

Brainstorming for my card.

My cover also have a latch which can be used to lock the love message written in the card, to give a confidential feeling, hoping to make the loved one feel important. The writing area of the card is confined to the shape of the cover, heart, to fortify the love message.

With the intention to market the card as a Do-it-yourself (DIY) card for sincerity, I also had to think of ways to have it avoid the hassle of aligning the printing on double side. Working on this idea, therefore I came up with the end product of a card that required the user to print only on a single-sided A4 size paper, before folding and trimming the card into desired shape.

If you like my card, print out on A4 size and
follow the instructions below...

1. Having printed out the card,
folded the card into half (from top to bottom)


2. Trim the front of the card to the shape of the heart.
Slit an opening at the back of the card, so that you can slot the latch in and
etch your love message in the card.

*Do not trim the whole heart out, do leave the left side of the heart attached to the card.
*Don't forget to keep the latch at the right side of the heart too.

3. Fold the card into half and tada...

Final product - Lots of love

Disclaimer: There's an error to the orientation of the card, have since rectified the problem.

The only problem with the presentation of my card is the choice of paper. Due to time constraint, I printed my card on normal 80gsm paper. I should have it printed using a matt cover paper, at least 200gsm, to achieve the rich greeting card quality feel. Taking functionality into consideration, it is needed to use matt paper as it will be better able to allow end-user to write their love message on the card.

Being the only card that breaks the tradition of having regular shape, which probably fascinated the class, I did not receive much negative feedback. In my revised work, I would have to have the card printed on better quality paper (ok, as well as change the orientation of the card).

Revised: Printed on 220gsm matt paper

Revised

No comments: