Friday, February 09, 2007

Assignment 2: Tiger Abstract

In this assignment, I have chosen Tiger as my subject. I decided on the use of Tiger as I like the vibrant color of its fur and its ferocious stare. The first concept that came to my mind in the development of an indexical representation of a Tiger was to depict its orange coat and black stripe. Operating on this idea, I worked backward by visualizing my last abstract representation first.

Iconic

Indexical

With start of my iconic representation and the end of my indexical representation ready, I proceeded to reduce the details at each stage. At stage 4, reducing to only the head of my subject, I feel that any further reduction will loss its identity. Therefore the final symbol that I
choose was stage 4.

Degree of Abstract

Only at our critique session, do I realize that we should not play on the color. However, I felt that the color was important for me to depict my subject, till a classmate pointed out that white tiger can solve my problem of use of color. Lucky for me, white tiger exist.

Too many details still exist at my point of selection of my symbol. I was provided advice to break the outline of the face, keeping only the eyes till mouth and of course, the distinct stripes of a Tiger.

In my revised work, realized that even without the silhouette, the stripes around the face is still able to provide the closure for visualization. The details have been reduced, but the room for imagination still does exist.

Revised

No comments: