Friday, February 16, 2007

Assignment 3: The Making

This is by far the most challenging assignment. I had a hard time thinking of a novel story line. Initially, I could only thought of a usual love story plot. However, I also need to consider the cast and the scene for my story. It was difficult to rope in too many people given such a short notice. Therefore I needed an alternative urgently. Went for a show, Protégé. It was about the world of drug and I was hit upon by an idea for this assignment, to do up a meaningful story on the abuse of drug, going through the process of drug abuse and the ending of a drug abuser.

As my lead (my sister) was not willingly to cast her face in the show, I had to thinking of ways to depict my story in a more abstract manner to avoid exposure. It was this constraint that provided me room to learn even more, to explore further with the limited resources that I am provided with. Zooming into the details, I realized that a pair of arms was more than enough to explain my story. I guess assignment 2 helped me to work in a more abstracted way.

Since I wanted my story to be more abstract to invoke the audience to think, I decided that my starting and ending could have continuity. The first two and last two pictures of my story are similar; lighting and extinguishing of a candle.

Having completed the photo taking, looking at all the pictures, it gives rise to the idea of having the photo in black and white. The use of black and white was better able to portray the feeling of a grey world of drug abuse. However, looking at the B&W photo, I feel that it was too gloomy, stealing away the glow of the candle. Therefore, I decided to add effect, coloring back the glow of the candle.

Overall, the response from the class was not too repulsive of my idea. The only question was scene 3, the handicapped toilet. It was not meaningful enough to just show the sign of the toilet and the question why a handicapped toilet. Scene 3 was also quite out of place with the rest of the scenes, it was also the only scene without a candle.

A way that I could think of to improve scene 3 is to have a hand pushing open the door and another holding onto a candle, trying to light up the toilet.

No comments: